Thursday, September 02, 2004

Preach it Brother Zell!

I've been away for a bit, but heard this conclusion last night from my man Zell:

"I first got to know George Bush when we served as governors together. I admire this man.
I am moved by the respect he shows the First Lady, his unabashed love for his parents and his daughters, and the fact that he is unashamed of his belief that God is not indifferent to America.
I can identify with someone who has lived that line in "Amazing Grace," "Was blind, but now I see," and I like the fact that he's the same man on Saturday night that he is on Sunday morning.
He is not a slick talker but he is a straight shooter and, where I come from, deeds mean a lot more than words.
I have knocked on the door of this man's soul and found someone home, a God-fearing man with a good heart and a spine of tempered steel.
The man I trust to protect my most precious possession: my family."


Amen, brother, AMEN! I first heard of Zell Miller a few years ago when he was appointed to fill a vacant Senate seat for Georgia. I read his "Deficit of Decency" speech on the Senate floor after Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" (yea, right) at the Super Bowl, and was very impressed. Bought his book, read it all, and became a diehard fan. If there were more Zell Miller's in the Democrat Party, and less Kennedys, Kerrys, Deans, McAuliffes, Daschles, Jacksons (as in Jesse), and of course, less Clintons - well I might still vote Democrat as I had since my college days.

I hear Zell's frustration with where this party is headed, and I hear echoes of myself bouncing about inside my skull. My only regret is the guy's 72-years old and will be hanging it up after this appointed Senate term is over.

|