Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mel-odrama

The Hoguester gave it the right name this am. This is the kind of crap the MSM thrives on anymore - ad hominem journalism. Mel Gibson has an issue. So do I and so do you. It's called sin. I remember as if it was yesterday my first observation that Original Sin is a real thing. One day when he first started to talk, Bat Jr. (not his real name) lied to me. No one taught him how, no one gave him the example on how to do right (so to speak), he just knew.

Mel sinned and sinned big far as us humans tend measure its levels ("Boy, and I thought I screwed up!" sez Jimmy the Greek), but God could hardly care less how BIG Mel's sin is - He hates it all. As much as He hates mine. Was I disappointed to hear the guy that brought us the Passion of the Christ would say something so obscene and revolting? Absolutely. Am I surprised? No. Am I capable of Mel's Friday night degeneracy? I don't know - could be. I haven't had to face this kind of trial. But like me, Mel at least fully understands he's a sinner:

“There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of Anti-Semitic remark. I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge
“I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words.
“The tenets of what I profess to believe necessitate that I exercise charity and tolerance as a way of life. Every human being is God’s child, and if I wish to honor my God I have to honor his children. But please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith.
“I’m not just asking for forgiveness. I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one on one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing.
“I have begun an ongoing program of recovery and what I am now realizing is that I cannot do it alone. I am in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display, and I am asking the Jewish community, whom I have personally offended, to help me on my journey through recovery. Again, I am reaching out to the Jewish community for its help. I know there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed.
“This is not about a film. Nor is it about artistic license. This is about real life and recognizing the consequences hurtful words can have. It’s about existing in harmony in a world that seems to have gone mad.”


Wow. I'm impressed if still saddened that Mel's devils kicked his posterior Friday. However, the last line is partly his fault and mine and yours. The world is mad because we and it are fallen. What still revolts me more is the gloating by his enemies. Mel Gibson made some serious enemies with the audacity of making the Passion. It's a in-your-face movie about what yours and my redemption cost our Lord and Mel is very in-your-face about it. In the movie, his hand held one of the nails being driven into Christ's hand in all its gory glory. He probably replayed that scene over and over in his mind after sobering up Saturday morning. But what bothers me the most is the MSM crowd celebrating the fact Mel fell off the pedestal they put him on. Talk about the ultimate straw man argument.

He didn't make the Passion to show he's holier than thou. He made it for exactly for the behavior he displayed Friday night. As the Hollyweird parties start up celebrating Mel's fall from grace, the nagging thought that will remain long after their hangovers are gone, is the Passion strikes really close to home and they know it. That's why they hate him so much and are so happy to see him beaten and bloody in the ditch. Somehow that enhances their own purity for them. Lucky for Mel and you and me, Christ travels the road from Jericho to Jerusalem, along with priests, Levites and Samaritans.

|